Many boomer age people (people born between the years 1946 – 1964) were part of the counter culture of the 1960’s. Beginning in the 1960’s one of the most popular and sustaining explorations was meditation. People traveled to Asia to learn traditional forms of mindfulness practices..and then some of the Asian teachers began to travel to the west as more and more people found meditation practice to be extremely helpful in many ways. [Read more…] about The Growth of Mindfulness Practices
There are a variety of reasons that people continue to work past what has been considered “retirement age”. Some people find that they are at the height of their skills, accumulated over a lifetime and are now ready to open the business of their dreams at age 70. While there is rampant ageism which excludes some very competent older people from the job market, lots of people over 65 are very innovative and undeterred, thereby bringing about the beginnings of a revolution in the work place..we’ll be seeing more and more 65-75 year olds going strong as experts in their fields. [Read more…] about Why Do People Work After They Reach “Retirement Age”?
This article was originally published in the August 2017 issue of the 50+ Marketplace News (Boulder Edition).
While the term “geriatric” may no longer be as popular as “elder” or “senior,” Geriatric Care Managers belong to a very established, nationally certified profession. So, what is a Geriatric Care Manager? Here are some of the skills a GCM will bring into their work with you:
- Develops kind, trustworthy relationship with client.
- Matches client with local services such as in-home care, skilled companionship, financial and legal experts and hospice.
- Meets client where they are rather than having client travel to GCM’s office.
- Saves families money by avoiding having to leave work and income to help parents, while GCM tackles the tasks at hand. The GCM becomes a sounding board for decision making, and provides stress relief.
- Develops a friendly working relationship with client’s doctors, and maintains detailed reports, thorough organization, and support that extends to both the client and the family.
- Accompanies client throughout medical processes, makes regular home visits, plans enjoyable outings, coordinates client’s schedule and personal network, and more.
Why it’s important to find a certified GCM: [Read more…] about Finding Relief and Saving Money with a Geriatric Care Manager